Play Chess!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Taxi Magic post-mortem

After getting a good presentation from the Taxi Magic folks last Tuesday I decided to try the service for the first time this wknd.  I signed up and ordered a cab no-problemo.  Though the option for the next cab was over 45 min = no biggie.  I scheduled it early enough it didn't matter.  (I found out later the driver could've been there quicker but then stopped for coffee and smokes) He showed up on time and accepted cash.

I peppered the cabbie with questions.  He actually picks me up at least once or twice a month anyway.  He's been driving for nearly 20 years and knows the local demand patterns well.  I asked him what % of his rides originate thru TM - amazingly he said more than 50%!! I also asked him if the computer could provide data about expected demand in under-served markets would that information be valuable to him?  He said "Absolutely YES!"

Coincidentally, the party I attended was in a part of town that may just be one of those under-served markets.  At least at 1 in the morning.  Many friends had trouble finding a cab and waited over an hour leaving the party.  This begs the question:  Could the under-served riders have been serviced more timely?  I'm certain geo-spatial data collected by companies like TM could help build some predictive modeling to answer that question.  Especially for events whose date/time/location are posted on the web - even "smaller" like my buddies birthday party.

No comments:

Post a Comment